Principal Reliability Engineer
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Cloud Engineering is at the core of the technology engine that enables the Upwork platform. We engineer and own all infrastructure, platform services, automation, tooling and drive modern Service Engineering. The scope of our charter requires modern Service Management and Operations Intelligence to successfully deliver, manage and operate our end-to-end infrastructure and platform services. This is an opportunity to bring your expertise to prove we do what we set out to and identify/drive opportunities to continue innovation and improvements on behalf of our customers and the services we provide.
This role needs a driver who is inquisitive by nature, detailed in execution, uses data to answer questions and solves problems as an engineer.
- Drive Operations Analytics and Intelligence to deliver data-driven Service Management processes, tooling & dashboards.
- Lead monthly “forest from the trees” trend reviews and other operational intelligence reporting activities. Identify and drive projects to address ongoing problem trends to improve TTR and prevent recurrent incidents.
- Enable continual service improvement through the effective use of metrics in support of key performance indicators and critical success factors used to manage service delivery. Work with our OI Engineer to deliver those metrics in the form of visualized data, tooling & dashboards.
- Drive the maturation of Service Engineering capabilities and projects. Partner with other service engineering focused teams (DevOps, Reliability Engineering, etc) to deliver key customer experience tooling capabilities such as synthetics, event correlation, automated break/fix, etc.)
- Accelerate the growth of Change, Incident, Problem and Knowledge management, taking a technology/engineering-first, process-second approach.
- Be the technical owner for the Service Management roadmap! Work with the TPM to ensure projects are accurately tracked & prioritized and work to ensure appropriate resources are assigned. Provide technical mentorship for other engineers as needed.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Above all else, you want to know why and what the data says about something. You’re then able to go find the data, interpret it and translate it to a defined set of next steps and actions.
- You’re incredibly detailed oriented, care about quality and know there are multiple ways of solutioning a problem. This manifests in your ability to pivot as priorities shift and not lose sight of the end goal & customer requirements.
- You have previous operations analytics (SLOs, SLAs, MTTD, MTTR, etc.), data analytics or business intelligence experience.
- You have a high degree of autonomy and drive. You demonstrate a customer-first mentality and take full ownership of the work.
- You can navigate collaboratively through ambiguity to deliver outcomes.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.