Senior Communications Manager
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
As Senior Manager, Independent Talent Comms, you will join the Communications team responsible for telling the Upwork story and elevating our external communications efforts across our independent talent audience and key tech, business, and trade verticals. In this role, you’ll be responsible for developing PR campaigns that increase brand awareness and favorable brand perception, and amplify the company’s mission, vision, and values.
This is an ideal position for a self-starter with a passion for working with various industry influencers (from media to independent talent to academics) and an excitement for shaping the future of work.
- Develop a proactive communications strategy that showcases how Upwork's work marketplace empowers independent professionals to gain control over their careers
- Create and execute compelling PR campaigns to secure robust media coverage in top-tier outlets
- Lead external communications strategy and execution for independent talent facing product announcements and campaigns
- Proactively work with cross-functional teams (analytics, product, talent success, research) to identify opportunities to add Upwork to public conversations and raise awareness of our brand
- Support our media spokesperson program by conducting media trainings, interview prep, and event support
- Provide comms counsel and support on issues that may impact our employees, customers, product, and corporate reputation
What it takes to catch our eye:
- A strategic thinker who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get into the weeds when necessary
- Experience in the recruiting industry or with marketplace platforms
- Strong media relations chops with a track record of generating high-quality results in tech, business, and vertical-specific publications
- Experience telling data-driven stories
- Proven success at collaborating with and influencing cross-functional partners
- Communications and PR experience in-house and/or within an agency environment
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.