Senior Data Analyst
Open to outstanding talent regardless of experience!
Are you fascinated by human behavior? Do you have an innate need to understand and influence how people act? Do you naturally look for the soul hidden in the numbers? Can you illuminate that soul and build a story that non-analytical minds can grasp and rally behind? Do you enjoy working with partners across the company to deliver on customer needs?
If so, we want you! Upwork is seeking an Analyst/Senior Analyst. Working with the Director of Payments & Safety Analytics, you will partner with operations and product teams at Upwork: to understand customer needs and deliver value to freelancers, their clients, and our shareholders. This is a high-visibility/high-impact role increasing our understanding of the work marketplace, influencing strategy, and driving growth.
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Upwork Business Analytics & Insights team harnesses a wealth of data from our platform and 3rd party systems to empower the company through insights. We advise leaders and product managers across the organization and drive thought leadership on critical projects. Our work explains how freelancers grow their business through Upwork and enables frictionless work for our best users. This is not just an open position - it is an opportunity to join an elite team, turn data into insights, deliver concrete value to the company, and help build the future of work!
- Understand data infrastructure (PostgreSQL/Presto), product strategy, business model, and competitive landscape
- Write sophisticated and optimized SQL to extract data
- Build dashboards (in Looker) to help run the business
- Design and analyze A/B tests to iteratively optimize product
- Apply structured methods to analyze problems and develop solutions
- Perform complex analyses (using R/Python) to extract learnings and deliver insights
- Become a thought partner to the business; ask difficult questions; proactively answer those.
- Communicate clear, complete, and actionable findings; drive implementation; change the world.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Apply critical thinking, curiosity, and eagerness to solve problems.
- Produce immediate value while keeping an eye on long-term strategy and scalability.
- Tell clear stories founded in data and supported by pretty pictures.
- Take ownership seriously and hold yourself accountable.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple work streams.
- Show us that you’ve made a difference with tangible outcomes.
- Show a passion for results - write code, dig into data, iterate quickly, and take decisive action.
- Live curiously
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.