Data Scientist, Search
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
If you’re passionate about solving hard problems at a large scale, knowing that your contribution to Upwork is enabling massive economic value and creating social value globally, then please read on.
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience building machine learning solutions to tackle business challenges. You don’t have to have a degree from one of the world’s top schools, but you’ve already done a few big things in your career. One of your hallmarks is your ability to reconcile business needs with what the data is suggesting to come up with new ideas. In the process, you derive much of your joy at work knowing that your inventions and your job matters.
- Partner with multi-functional teams (e.g. Product, Engineering, Research, Analytics, etc.) to understand user problems, and translate them into a Data Science and AI solution
- Build production-ready machine learning models, and search & recommendation engines that will become core components driving our marketplace
- Design experiment for hypothesis testing, analyze and communicate the results and findings with partners with actionable insights
- Research cutting-edge new technologies or machine learning techniques to address sophisticated business problems
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Experience with programming and data querying skills that enable you to retrieve, analyze and process data from the ground up (e.g. SQL, Python, Scala, Java)
- Experience of building machine learning models for information retrieval, recommender systems, natural language processing, or related fields to solve business problems
- Familiar with search ranking and recommendation algorithms
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.