Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Program Manager
San Francisco | California | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
You'll join the award-winning Upwork Legal Team. We are a collaborative, trusting and high-performing team that loves to work on state-of-the art legal issues and generate practical solutions in a collaborative and creative manner. Our team has a passion for what we do and has been recognized in the industry. Among others, the Upwork legal team has been awarded The Recorder’s prestigious Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award and has been recognized by the Financial Times as One of Top 25 Most Innovative In-House Legal Teams in North America.
The Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Program Manager is a newly-formed position that will drive the advancement of Upwork’s ESG strategy, which is focused on the management and reporting of key non-financial factors that impact our team members, our users, our society, our planet, and our business, as well as ongoing stakeholder engagement related to Upwork’s key ESG opportunities.
The role requires a strong background and interest in corporate social responsibility, sustainability and ESG issues, as well as experience in driving environmental management and/or social impact, ideally in the ESG space.
This role will report to our VP, Associate General Counsel.
- Lead the buildout of our ESG program, driving programmatic enhancements across our impact and reporting strategy, including activities related to climate change, human rights, employee engagement, diversity, inclusion & belonging, and product innovation.
- Drive the development, preparation and publication of Upwork’s Annual Impact Report and other external ESG disclosures and communications.
- Coordinate and support the completion of annual submissions to third-party ESG rankings and recognitions and rating agencies (including MSCI, CDP, Sustainalytics, and ISS).
- Ongoing internal and external stakeholder engagement.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Proven track record of effectively driving important social programs and initiatives across organizations in a collaborative and communicative manner.
- A passion for making a difference on ESG issues and related issues.
- Experience in environmental, social, or governance issues, corporate sustainability, or related fields.
- Demonstrated understanding of the landscape and trends in corporate ESG reporting, and key stakeholders in the industry.
- Strong organizational skills and program management skills – possesses the ability to successfully manage multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical skills, including proficiency in Excel and comfort working with large, complex data sets.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.