Strategic Technical Vendor Manager
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Our Corporate Technology team (IT Engineering) is looking for an experienced, self-driven Strategic Technical Vendor Manager who will be accountable for leading the vendor strategy and relationships for technology solutions (3rd party software & tools) used within Upwork’s corporate environment.
This role will partner with our Procure to Payment (Strategic Procurement), Finance, InfoSec and Legal teams to develop and own the vendor lifecycle at Upwork. The role requires someone with hands-on experience in developing technical vendor strategy, enterprise pricing negotiations and handling a holistic relationship with a wide array of vendors.
This is a highly visible role with the opportunity to make an immediate impact through technology vendor relationships (e.g. cost leverage, performance improvements, innovation, escalation management), technical requirement reviews, vendor consolidations, and extensive cross-functional teamwork to implement vendor related processes & initiatives. If you're excited about this opportunity apply!
- Lead in the development of the strategic vendor management process that ties into the overall vendor lifecycle used at Upwork.
- Build a trusted advisor relationship with business teams/service owners that leverage vendors for internally used corporate tools (software). Support business & service owners in navigating vendor processes
- Lead, influence, and up level vendor selection decisions, pricing models, and negotiations to further mature and strategically align Upwork’s vendor/software capability landscape
- Research vendors and their solution capabilities that are used within a corporate environment. Proactively handle upcoming contract renewals and negotiations for the team.
- Support the execution of spend management projects that accomplish key objectives. Those objectives may include savings, operational improvement, and supplier consolidation or diversification. Track and report key functional metrics.
- Partner with the P2P team to support efforts around supplier diversification and/or other strategic procurement projects as needed.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Experience maintaining relationships, procurement, and contract negotiations with Enterprise IT Partners/Resellers and Software solution providers
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in a role that requires influencing across different levels in the organization (internal and vendors)
- Experience developing a long term vendor management lifecycle strategy and tactical plan with cohesive processes that are supported by automation & tooling
- Deep understanding of vendor landscape, and vendor’s profitability levers, operating model, account management practices and product road-mapping process
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.