Senior Manager, Accounting Operations
Chicago | Illinois | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Given our tremendous growth over the past year, we are expanding our team and are looking for a Senior Manager of Accounting Operations to help build a strong general ledger and consolidation function and act as a subject matter expert in the area of opex analysis, capitalized software and FX. This position will also be responsible for assisting in international expansion and managing the full chart of accounts, and help build scalable accounting operations for Record to Report processes.
We are looking for someone who is a highly motivated teammate, has excellent attention to detail, can work cross functionally in a team environment, as well as independently. This person will partner with individual department heads to understand the Company's P&L for expenses and accrue accordingly. Partner closely with Product and Engineering teams for costs associated with the development of software to be used for internally and also hosting arrangements to support its key business processes.
- Own the full month-end close process for general ledger, consolidation operations
- Serve as the lead business partner to internal functions and lead all accrual meetings and partner with Product and Engineering teams to solidify internally developed capitalized software recognition and recording
- Responsible for the statutory audit of the international entities
- Drive process improvements and automation
- Completion and review of key account reconciliations
- Manage external auditors for quarterly and annual audits
- Present monthly variance analyses to CFO and CAO
- Run variance analysis , and produce accurate opex analysis
- Identify and drive operational improvements as well as create ad-hoc dashboards
- Manage a team of 1-2 FTE and 3-4 freelancers (offshore), hence excellent communication and organization skills is a must for this position
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Full scale industry accounting experience including month-end close, high volume reconciliation review, foreign exchange and intercompany transactions
- Combination of advanced individual contributor as well as development of teams (task and career development)
- Excellent communication skills combined with collaborative mindset to arrive at the best business decision
- Experiences in the various finance systems (Oracle, Blackline, Workiva, Excel, Looker, and G-suite experience a plus) as well as the best practice
- Critical thinker with sound business judgement and a continuous improvement attitude who quickly raises issues and facilitates an environment to solve them
- Strong willingness and self-discipline to contribute to a team
- CPA is required
- Marketplace or technology industry experience
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.