Business Analyst - Payments
Chicago | Illinois | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Our Global Payments team is responsible for ensuring clients from anywhere in the world can pay, and freelancers located anywhere in the world can get paid. The future of work cannot happen without the ability to move money. Given our tremendous growth over the past year, we are expanding our team and are looking for a Payments Analyst to help drive our Payments Strategy and execute on Payments initiatives.
Specifically, we are looking for a self-starter, who will be tasked with helping define strategies for our Payments business through the use of data and analytics, build business cases for new payment methods and other payments products, refine or re-define our internal payment processes in conjunction with Payment Operations, Chargebacks, and Payment Compliance teams, and last but not least, develop business requirements for each major initiative defined and partner with cross-functional teams to ensure everything runs smoothly and as planned.
- Drive strategic business decisions through data and analytics
- Develop and monitor Payment KPIs and help propose solutions for improvement
- Assist in the development of ad-hoc analysis, reports, presentations, and special projects for senior =management and cross-functional teams
- Partner with Payment Operations, Chargebacks, and Payment Compliance to identify business processes improvements
- Work with our cross-functional partners (e.g. Product, Engineering, Project Management) to execute on variety of Payments initiatives
- Develop and document business requirements for each Payment initiative
- Think proactively about strategic opportunities across Upwork’s Payments Value Chain (i.e. improving revenue, reducing costs, finding operational efficiencies, managing risks, enhancing Client and Freelancer experiences)
- Track payment industry trends and other changes (e.g. vendor changes, card network changes) using a variety of tools
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Demonstrated experience in ecommerce payments processing and knowledge of the payment card industry
- Strong logical thinking
- Exceptional analytical skills, including advanced knowledge of Excel, SQL, and Looker, with the ability to generate insights and action plans from data
- Experience in analysis and presentation of results in a clear and effective manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Sound judgment and ability to recognize and deliver improvements to team operations
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects / responsibilities
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.