Senior Manager, Data Infrastructure Engineering
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Cloud Engineering is at the core of the technology engine that enables the Upwork platform. We engineer and own all infrastructure, platform services, automation, tooling and drive modern Service Management.
Data Infrastructure has always been at the heart of any modern enterprise, from traditional databases to the most modern, distributed RDS, Data Warehousing and resilience/scalability technologies (e.g., in-memory, NoSQL). Come and help us build the next generation of scalable data infrastructure!
- The Sr. Manager will Lead the continued modernization of our data infrastructure in all aspects (architecture, engineering and operationalization), working closely with core partners in Data Platform Services and other teams within Cloud Engineering.
- Work closely with Platform and Application Engineering team to address legacy challenges and have a vision and technical knowledge on how to embrace new technologies and standard methodologies to make improvements.
- Analyze our data warehouse infrastructure and data structure to identify improvement areas and how to scale based upon present demand and future projection.
- Drive the assessment and as required, re-engineering of our end-to-end data pipeline based on business and ops requirements (ingestion, processing, and storage).
- Mentor and grow a team of Data Infrastructure Engineers, lead design and architecture reviews, and forecast growth and future needs both for engineering resources and system scalability.
- Lead the team in engineering robust, scalable solutions. Define processes and standards and ensure they are being adhered to.
Requirements for the Role:
- Extensive experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle, Redis, Memcached, Kafka, Elastic Search
- Strong understanding of distributed data computing concepts, Ingestion technologies, persistent storage, NoSQL (at least one stack, preferably MongoDB, DynamoDB), batch and real-time processing of data.
- Experience with both proprietary and open source big data technologies and platforms (e.g., Snowflake, Vertica, Hive, Spark, Presto, Redshift, Data Lakes).
- Consistent record of architecting data systems at scale utilizing the best technology for the job, whether open source, out the box, or homegrown.
- Hands on experience in one of the following programming languages - Python, Java, Go, etc.
- Experience defining and creating automated unit and integration testing frameworks for data projects.
- Have a functional understanding of different privacy and compliance practices around data (GDPR, CCPA).
- Working exposure in a cloud environment (AWS, Azure, GCP), have strong experience in cloud data infrastructure and can make recommendations when a cloud or vendor-managed service can be utilized.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Understand the challenges and can create solutions for the future with focus on reliability, resilience, and scalability.
- Lead the need for continuous improvement with the higher-order needs of resilience and managing risk to the business / our Customers.
- Enjoy building and leading a team to high-value outcomes, no matter the hurdles
- You are a skilled data infrastructure engineer with a wide focus on datastores, from PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB to Spark/Hadoop/Kafka Streaming, etc.
- Experience in a range of storage types; Ephemeral, EBS, NFS, iSCSI, FC, DA as well as OS managing technologies, not limited to but including LVM, etc.
- Knowledge of database performance characteristics based on the workload from front-end application servers
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.