Lead Product Designer
San Francisco | California | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
As a Lead Product Designer on our team, you will drive innovative experiences for one of our company’s top strategic pillars! By owning key workstreams, you will have the opportunity to reinvent how companies find, hire, and pay freelancers. You will be empowered by a strong design culture to design products and features that help millions of users collaborate with distributed teams!
- You will lead the design strategy for the initial steps of our user's journey
- Drive an innovative and entrepreneurial culture by delivering thoughtful, explorative MVPs designed to learn from and iterate with
- Crafting responsive web experiences that expertly connect art and copy into a single, compelling, user-centered narrative with nuance and pop that drives action.
- Demonstrate high quality design practices. This includes participation in all aspects of UX: research, ideation, strategy, interaction design, information architecture, and visual execution
- Build a variety of design assets to communicate your concepts to a broad range of partners and end users; ranging from strategy and experience concepts to detailed design systems and assets
- Collaborate with product, services, engineering, and operations partners; produce design solutions, and adapt your designs to emerging constraints
- Multitask and lead multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment
- Mentor junior designers on the team; lead small teams of designers when needed
- Be a subject matter authority in the area of UX/UI design for super-user personas
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 8+ years of proven experience as a UX designer in a cross-functional UX team, dedicated to the complete UX design and development lifecycle of several successfully launched features and products
- Outstanding interaction design and visual interface design skills (branding not required)
- An “always-learning” attitude and practice. Open to new ideas and in touch with the latest in visual design
- A thoughtful balance of product requirements, user needs and growth opportunities to scale product adoption and engagement
- Ability to work seamlessly with product, research, engineers, operations and customers
- Strong communication skills. An active collaborator and strong partner in ideation and execution: promote new ideas, clearly communicate design decisions, ready to debate, decide and commit.
- Architect system wide design solutions that satisfy both product and engineering requirements
- Hungry, humble, smart. Looking for a great team to connect and excel with. We spend so much time working, let’s have an amazing time making great work together.
- Self-starter with initiative, creativity, and drive.
- ***Portfolio is required***
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience in a mix of agency and in-house
- Experience designing products for online marketplaces
- Experience in user acquisition and conversion, and the psychology of ethical persuasion
- Experience designing native mobile applications and current working knowledge of native iOS and Android design languages
- Proven high bar for quality and attention to detail
- Motion design chops
- Any form of proven entrepreneurship such as side projects, design experiments, and start-ups
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.