For the first few months of 2019, demand for skills related to L&D (learning and development), automation, and urban planning soared on Upwork. That’s according to the latest Upwork Skills Index, a quarterly ranking of the 20 fastest-growing skills on the site.
Seventy-five percent of the skills listed are new to the index, and they span a wide range of skill areas. “The array of skills employers are finding through digital platforms is growing, including technical skills like Hadoop and Kubernetes as well as non-technical skills such as taxation and urban planning,” said Stephane Kasriel, CEO of Upwork.
Here are the top 20 fastest-growing skills for Q1 2019:
- U.S. Taxation
- Robotic process automation
- Explainer videos
- Computer aided manufacturing
- Financial planning
- Urban design
- Software documentation
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- Julia development
- Employee training
- Shopify templates
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Vue.js framework
- Leadership development
- Architectural rendering
What are the top three takeaways from this quarter’s index?
This look at new and emerging skills provides real-time validation of current trends in the labor market and tech industry. For example, the latest index reflects that:
- Businesses are investing in learning and development programs. With tightening labor markets, L&D is a long-term commitment to help ensure their workers are prepared for tomorrow.
- Automation boosts productivity, and organizations are increasingly looking for new ways to free up time so their employees can do more strategic and innovative work.
- Eight million Americans primarily work from home. As remote work adoption increases, city infrastructure is reinventing itself.
For more in-depth insights into the latest Skills Index, read the full press release.
The post The Hottest Skill Areas in 2019 So Far: Learning & Development, Automation, and Urban Planning appeared first on Upwork Blog.