Director, Trust & Safety Policy and Operations
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Trust & Safety team seeks to make Upwork the most trustworthy and the safest provider of talent solutions in the world. The Director of Policy and Operations will lead the development and continual improvement of our policies and the operational teams that execute them. You’ll work closely with our Product, Engineering, Analytics, and Legal teams to craft nuanced user-centric solutions that build a safe and professional environment in which our talent and clients can thrive together.
- Coach and manage 4+ Senior Managers responsible for work streams like Content & Engagement, Payment Compliance, Identity, Circumvention, Investigations, Account Security, and Scam
- Oversee Policy development across Trust & Safety, focusing initially on Content & Engagement and Identity, with input from users and cross-functional partners
- Build feedback loops with our dedicated Product team to ensure flawless coordination between Operations and Product to achieve Trust & Safety goals
- Ensure the work of our 200+ remote agents across Trust & Safety is optimized to drive operational efficiency, efficacy, and excellence in maintaining a safe platform
- Surface user-centric feedback about what is and is not working to our Trust & Safety product managers and help guide and prioritize technical solutions to critical user challenges
- Build systems to run high visibility cross functional escalations to resolution, including processes for continual learning and improvement
- Communicate and report overall status, primary metrics, key issues and solution plans to key partners and executives
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Senior-level experience in Trust & Safety, Policy, and/or Operations roles in tech
- Measurable success in running complex programs from conception to completion
- Experience leading large distributed teams towards common measurable goals
How to really knock our socks off:
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves to ensure deadlines are met and solutions are executed
- Ability to apply structure to ambiguity while pivoting when new challenges arise
- Proven critical thinking and cross-functional team influence
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle competing priorities
- A track record of trying and learning new things
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.