Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Upwork Analytics team harnesses a massive trove of data from our platform as well as data captured from 3rd party systems to inform and empower the company with insights about the business. As the Director of Analytics, you will be an advisor to our senior leaders across Global Payments, Trust & Safety Product, and Payments Risk and Compliance. In that capacity you’ll help to understand how users interact with Upwork, measure the impact that product changes have, and identify bad users to help keep our community safe. This is not just an open position - it is an opportunity to build an elite team and deliver incredible impact by translating data into information.
- Embrace the opportunity to learn about the captivating intricacies and unique challenges of an internet-scale dual-sided marketplace.
- Collaborate directly with leaders to bring insight into each business area and identify high impact projects.
- Own the analytical strategies and execution that power much of our platform’s foundation.
- Mentor and build a team of hardworking business analysts. Provide oversight and analytical thought leadership to ensure that outcomes are robust, measurable, reliable, and repeatable.
- Engage with product and engineering teams to improve data infrastructure to enable effective use by analysts and the rest of the company.
- Be creative: engage your curiosity and your natural inclination for seeing order in chaos by identifying non-obvious analytical approaches to solving complex problems.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 8+ years of work experience as an analyst and leader of analysts with substantial experience partnering with senior leaders to translate business questions into analysis projects
- Experience in building and leading teams of 5+ mid- and junior-level analysts; having built an analytics program from scratch is a major plus
- Ability to distill data into a story and present in a clear way.
- Extensive experience executing analytics projects end-to-end, from definition through findings and recommendations to business partners. Show us that you’ve made a difference with tangible outcomes in previous roles.
- Expertise in analytical and visualization tools along with strong, defensible positions regarding what works, what doesn’t and why. Looker experience a plus.
- Extensive experience with SQL. Python or statistical analysis tools (i.e. R, Stata) a plus.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Demonstrate a knack for understanding intricacies of two-sided marketplaces and a deep curiosity about how they grow and thrive; experience at eBay, PayPal, Airbnb, Etsy, Lyft, or other two-sided marketplaces a plus
- Show a passion for going deep - collaborate with partners, write code, dig into data, iterate quickly and take action
- Previous experience in trust & safety, risk, or payments
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.