Lead Product Manager, Data Standardization
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
You will lead the Data Standardization team, which is building the most extensive knowledge graph of work! Our entities go beyond jobs, titles, skills, and companies into the different types of work and professionals, ranging from individuals to teams. Though our standardized ontology is still young, we’re on our way to becoming the only platform capable of matching people to all types of work. In this role, you’ll work closely with our ontology, data science, product, design, and engineering teams to build experiences that enable talent and hiring managers to easily express their offerings and needs while also enabling internal teams to make smarter decisions with quality data.
- Own your product area: You’ll collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and drive improvements to Upwork’s ontology and matching experiences in order to meet the evolving needs of the business.
- Work very closely with data science, ontology, engineering, and other teams to build a shared roadmap for the future of data standardization.
- Back up hypotheses with quantitative tests: The proof is in the numbers. You’ll run quantitative tests that continuously drive new insights from the ecosystem we handle.
- Tackle long-standing and difficult user problems by breaking down fundamental assumptions and going back to the basics
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Experience with crafting ontologies, taxonomies or other similar systems for use in representing customers, classifying data, and machine learning models.
- Experience with building a roadmap for both external (our clients and talent) and internal customers (partner teams who can leverage your work)
- Excellent communication of technical concepts: You have a strong executive presence for collaborating with customers, peers, colleagues, and executives. You can distill differing philosophies and approaches down to the essence and corral partners toward alignment.
- Analytical chops for breaking down complex problems and solving them with data. Plus is having hands-on experience in querying databases.
- Proven track record of combining data and customer feedback to frame problems and develop solutions.
How to really knock our socks off:
- You are able to build a sense of belonging for distributed teams
- You have experience working with two-sided marketplaces, especially marketplaces with wildly diverse participants or offerings
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.