Senior Technical Product Manager, Data Platform
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Senior Technical Product Manager engages with the user community to build a data-informed organization. The TPM bridges the gap between business users and engineering teams through detailed communication, empathy, and prioritization!
- Build a product roadmap for Upwork's data platform including data pipeline infrastructure (event logging, data streaming, batch ETL, etc) and data management systems and tools including data lake, data warehouse, analytics tools, A/B test manager, and an experiment dashboarding tool.
- Drive our data platform modernization initiatives
- Manage and unify multiple data platform initiatives across the company to build a foundational, shared data infrastructure
- Work with our data scientist, business analytics community, and data engineers to ensure their data needs are met using an agile methodology
- Evaluate 3rd party and open source data processing and management technologies and make recommendations
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Technical experience (ideally as full-stack engineer familiar with SQL and non-SQL based database technologies) that enables you to understand the nuances of data pipeline issues & solutions
- Hands on SQL and analytics (Google Analytics, Domo, etc) experience to support our data science and business analytics communities
- Experience integrating cloud-based data pipelines and analytics services such as AWS Kinesis, AWS data pipeline, EMR, Redshift, Google Tag Management, Google Analytics, etc.
- Solid understanding of cloud-based and on-premise Big Data technologies like Hadoop, spark, etc.
- Strong analytical mentality. You love complex problems and enjoy breaking them down while using data to inform the path forward.
- Experience working in an experiment-driven culture. The ideal candidate will have several years of experience working at a company that conducts experiments at an elite level
- Collaborative personality. You thrive in environments where you work with a diverse set of partners in order to achieve your objectives.
- Attention to detail combined with drive. You will take ownership of projects and take pride in seeing them through to full completion!
- Passion for Product Management. You aspire to be a “full stack PM” and are constantly working to develop your skillset.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.