Director, Pricing Strategy
Chicago | Illinois | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Upwork is developing a pricing function and is looking for an experienced professional to lead its Strategic Pricing efforts.
The individual’s responsibility will be to act as the subject matter expert for the organization on strategic pricing and present recommendations on pricing strategy, price optimization, price setting, promotions, policies and tactics. The individual will also lead and manage a small team of Pricing Analysts that will monitor KPI achievement and provide data integrity, analysis & reporting for decision-making. The individual will need to coordinate closely with Sales, Sales Ops, Sales Finance, Analytics, Marketing, and Product.
The scope of responsibilities includes pricing for the entire Upwork organization.
Key aim of the pricing function is to enable Upwork to develop an advanced customer lifetime value management strategy via the following areas (but not limited to):
- Conduct research (including qualitative customer interviews and quantitative market research, benchmarking) and deliver pricing recommendations that follow a logically reasoned, data-driven approach to achieve strategic and financial goals
- Build business cases for new monetization strategies and driving alignment across the company
- Define and implement commercial policies, segmentation, discount/promotions management and strategic price agreements
- Ensure effective governance and risk management in overall pricing processes
- Support sales, marketing and finance teams efforts to drive revenue and maximize profitability
- Manage pricing team, reassess priorities, deliverables and timing as needed to ensure the team is properly supported and results are delivered on time
- Define and evaluate KPIs/pricing compliance to track pricing performance and enable continuous improvements
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in strategy consulting, product management, corporate strategy, including developing and implementing monetization and pricing strategies, ideally with significant experience working with online two-sided marketplaces and/or SaaS companies
- Experience leading both qualitative and quantitative customer research methods
- Strong analytical skills and financial modeling skills to help drive recommendations through to completion
- High aptitude to learn quickly, provide critical thinking on new and unknown tasks, and works well under pressure with appropriate attention to detail
- Excellent leadership and written and verbal communication skills, as well as ability to work with executives and across functions; well-versed with business discussions
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.