Senior Director, Global Payment Operations
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
We are looking for a Senior Director to lead our Global Payments capabilities. In this role you will have strategic and operational oversight for a critical capability on Upwork: ensuring clients from anywhere in the world can pay and freelancers located anywhere in the world can get paid. The future of work can’t happen without the ability to move money. Come create the best solution for our customers and make the future of work happen!
- Manage the top line revenues that relate to the payments platform by influencing key revenue and cost levers
- Drive Upwork’s overall payment’s strategy (pay-ins and payouts) and operations by: Set the strategy to optimize the payments platform capabilities
- Optimizing payments acceptance and processing cost
- Identify and implement new payment and or disbursement methods that further our overall strategy
- Identify ways to provide the most optimal payment cost structure for our freelancers
- Identify ways to improve the payments experience for both clients and freelancers on the platform
- Explore value added features for which users will pay
- Own the payment and disbursement processing partner relationships
- Establish and maintain the relationship
- Negotiate costs and revenue opportunities
- Explore new capabilities and partners
- Ensure service levels are met
- Partner with the product management team as well as other cross functional team to implement the vision into the product
- Optimize payment process experience with the goal to increase customer satisfaction, improve CSAT, increase transaction success rate and minimize refunds and chargebacks across all countries of operation.
- Manage and own P&L related to payment revenues, refunds, chargebacks and payments processing costs, and own the forecast.
- Run a payments & chargeback operations team on site and remotely
- Improve efficiency and accuracy of the Payments and Chargeback organizations
- Meet service levels
- Improve win rates
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Minimum 7+ years experience in the payments operations industry with proven increasing experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to articulate your vision, payment strategy, and goals.
- Expert level understanding of global acquiring, credit & debit card processing
- Proven ability to optimize payments success rates
- Deep understanding of payment settlement and reconciliations processes.
- 5+ years people management
- Solid knowledge of network regulations,
- Strong proven analytical skills
How to really knock our socks off:
- Be able to share her/his payment strategy for the marketplace business
- Familiarity with accounting & finance; foreign exchange experience a plus
- Familiar with running an operations organization at scale
- Energized by using your payments expertise to make our mission a reality: to create economic opportunity so people have better lives.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.