Product Manager - Ontology
Santa Clara | California | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Ontology team is crafting the best ontology of work in the world-- describing the services, projects, and skills requested and offered by clients and talent. As Product Manager, you will seek out, describe, prioritize, and execute on new opportunities for the ontology to align with the different mental models of our customers. You will develop a deep understanding of prospective hiring manager needs, and deliver relevant user site shopping experiences for our customers. You will partner with cross-functional teams to conduct rapid tests to improve new user conversion. This is a high-impact role that solves both strategic and operational challenges.
- Lead your product area:
- Collaborate with the client onboarding, ontology, data science, search and engineering teams to identify and drive improvements to Upwork’s ontology (and supporting services) in order to meet the evolving needs of the business.
- Guide product owners on how best to utilize the ontology and seek out new applications of the ontology across Upwork’s business and organization to build customer and business value.
- Translate acquisition strategies and personalization experiences into the user site.
- Know your market and customers: You’ll deeply understand and seek key trends in the broader landscape and the specific needs of our different customer targets.
- Back up hypotheses with quantitative tests: The proof is in the numbers. You’ll craft and run quantitative tests to deliver insights.
- Be an excellent cross-functional partner: You’ll both lead and partner with other product managers, designers, engineers, analysts, and marketing colleagues to execute cross-product and cross-functional initiatives.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Experience with shipping high quality user experiences, and working on larger, more complex products and/or data rich platforms e.g. two-sided marketplaces.
- The ability to go broad as well as deep: You can solve for bigger picture and long term goals whilst rolling up your sleeves to write user stories in JIRA, set up test plans, and debug issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: You have a strong executive presence for collaborating with customers, peers, colleagues, and executives. You can succinctly articulate goals, progress, and priorities in written, verbal, and presentation formats.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience working with cross functional teams including acquisition, onboarding, and data science teams.
- Basic SQL skills and a keen ability to analyze data, recognize trends and identify key levers for optimization.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, including a willingness to take risks.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.