Senior Business Analyst
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Upwork Analytics team harnesses a massive wealth of data from our platform as well as data gathered from 3rd party systems to inform and empower the company with insights about the business. As a Senior Business Analyst, you will be an advisor to our leaders across Payments Risk and Compliance and a thought leader within our analytics team. In that capacity you’ll help to understand how users interact with Upwork, identify bad users to keep our community safe, lead strategic analyses that enable frictionless work with minimal impact to the business. This is not just an open position - it is an opportunity to build and develop a world-class team and deliver concrete impact to the entire company relying on your passion for turning data into a strategic asset.
- Partner with the Senior Director of Risk and Compliance and work with Business Analytics & Insights members in asking difficult questions about the inner workings of our marketplace, then lead the effort to answer those questions.
- Build mission critical dashboards with visibility at the most senior levels that provide the business with self-serve access to key performance indicators
- Develop an unparalleled understanding of the dynamics behind our marketplace to unlock new sources of growth
- Understand site behavior that undermines trust on the platform and help to eliminate it.
- Contribute to solving the complex problems inherent to a double-sided marketplace by developing new metrics and analytical concepts that uniquely define and track subtle and nuanced, yet impactful business drivers
- Drive analytics projects from ideation to execution: translate a business question into an analytical framework, generate insights through analysis, and effectively communicate recommended actions.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- You apply critical thinking, curiosity, and an eagerness to dive into the data, producing immediate value while still keeping an eye on long-term strategy and scalability.
- Ability to distill data into a story and present in a clear way.
- You take ownership seriously and hold yourself accountable to always deliver in a reliable manner. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and in managing multiple work streams.
- Extensive experience executing analytics projects end-to-end, from definition through findings and recommendations to business partners - show us that you’ve made a difference with tangible outcomes in previous roles.
- You are fluent in data visualization techniques (Looker experience preferred)
- You have experience with scripting or other automation tools and techniques
How to really knock our socks off:
- Show a passion for getting your hands dirty - collaborate with stakeholders, write code, dig into data, iterate quickly and take decisive action
- Demonstrate a knack for understanding the unique challenges of two-sided marketplaces and a deep curiosity about how they grow and thrive; experience at eBay, PayPal, Airbnb, Etsy, Lyft, or other two-sided marketplaces a plus
- Previous experience in trust & safety, risk, or payments
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.