Senior Director, SEO
San Francisco | California | United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
As the Senior Director, SEO, you will own search engine optimization at Upwork. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our organic presence by setting a strategy and working closely with Content Marketing, Engineering and Product to implement it. You will communicate frequently with executives, and demonstrate your strong technical SEO skills to educate the organization.
- Be accountable for crafting, implementing and driving our SEO strategy to drive short-term and long-term business success
- Lead and mentor the SEO department to a clear vision and objectives
- Partner with product, engineering, vendors/consultants, content marketing and SEO Managers to implement your strategy and manage progress
- Advise and educate product, design, engineering and marketing leaders on SEO best practices
- Rigorously analyze, report on and succinctly communicate digital performance trends and SEO critical metrics to senior leaders across the organization
- Make data-informed decisions, learning and iterating over time and adapting to a changing landscape
- Be a source of knowledge for all things SEO, proactively sharing ideas and recommendations to the organization
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Demonstrated success optimizing site architecture and content to drive business metrics
- Strong analytical skills, with an appreciation for statistics
- A collaborative attitude with the ability to build positive relationships and influence at all levels
- Deep understanding of SEO and how it has evolved over the years
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience in managing distributed teams
- Familiarity with A/B testing the traffic impact of SEO changes
- Experience collaborating closely with Paid Search, Product, Content Marketing, Brand Marketing and Engineering on a unified company “Search” strategy
- An insatiable eagerness to learn and push the boundaries of what is possible
- A real passion for Upwork and a deep appreciation of Upwork’s mission and impact
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.